Thursday, May 04, 2006

I'm a "Crunchy Con"

I've finally found out that there is a demographic group out there to which I belong: "crunchy cons". Crunchy, as in granola, and con, as in conservative. The term was created by Rod Dreher, who wrote an article in National Review that received tremendous positive response, which lead to a book, Cruncy Cons: How Birkenstocked Burkeans, gun-loving organic gardeners, evangelical free-range farmers, hip homeschooling mamas, right-wing nature lovers, ... America (or at least the Republican Party). Dreher also has a blog that I have really been enjoying. In fact, it has replaced Albert Mohler's as my favortie in this genre. (I also read a few knitting blogs.)

I haven't read the book yet, but from what I've read by Dreher and reviewers, in a nutshell, you are a crunchy con if you wear Birkenstocks, shop at Whole Foods, are concerned about the environment and the poor (all generally associated with liberals) AND you are pro life, churchgoing, and tend to vote Republican.

It's always good to know you're not alone.

No comments: