Wednesday, June 07, 2006

All Fundamentalists are NOT the Same

I keep reading here and there that there is no difference between differnt forms of fundamentalism whether it be Muslim, Christian, Buddist, whatever. Even Kirby Godsey, outgoing president of Mercer Univeristy, said it in a May 28, 2006 article in the Macon Telegraph. (The article is no longer available for free. It's a shame because the article leaves no doubt that he is indeed a heretic.)

I haven't taken personal offense at this because I consider myself to be orthodox rather than fundamentalist, but it hasn't set well with me. This post by Cruchy Con illuminates the problem with this thinking. Read it. But in the meantime, this is the point he closes with:

Funny, but whenever liberals I know say there is no difference between Islamic fundamentalists and Christian fundamentalists, I ask them if they had to choose, would they prefer to ride on an airplane piloted by graduates of Bob Jones University, or graduates of a Pakistani madrassa?

No comments: