Thursday, October 05, 2006

Spiritual Maturity and Knowing God

This week in our study of The Patriarchs, at the bottom of page 161, Beth Moore writes: “Over a two-decade span of time, the abiding presence of God “who has been with me wherever I have gone” (35:3), gradually shifted Jacob’s focus from the things of God—blessings, protection, land—to God Himself. This shift is the single most profound turning point toward spiritual maturity, for Jacob or for us.”

As I reviewed this passage from the text in preparation for class, God made it clear that this is what He would have us focus on during our discussion time. I know that this is the place where I am in my walk with God, and there are several other women in the class that I expect are in the same place. For others, those who are still primarily learning about God and familiarizing themselves with the things of God, it gives them something to look forward to and to strive for.

The Bible makes it clear that knowing God and having a relationship with Him is the ultimate reward in the Christian’s earthly life.

  • In Genesis 15:1 (NIV), God told Abram, “I am your very great reward.”

  • Paul said in Philippians 3:8, “I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord…”

  • Jeremiah 9:24 says, “but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me…”

  • In John 17:3, Jesus said, “This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.”

Things of God in Our Lives
What are the things of God that we focus on during the early stages of our respective relationships with Him? For me, I spent a lot of time reading books other than the Bible that helped me to understand doctrine and how to live the Christian life. Many of the books I read were invaluable to me, such as The Pursuit of Holiness, Ordering Your Private World, and The Wonderful Spirit-Filled Life. At the time, I think this reading was appropriate for me, but if I continued spending more time reading books than studying Bible, I would be focusing on the things of God rather than God Himself.

Other “things of God” that can distract us from God that we discussed are church and related activities, music, a certain pastor or teacher, Bible study, and the list goes on. All of these things are good things and can be very beneficial. However, if they distract us from having a relationship with God and knowing Him, and if they are more important to us than God Himself, we will not mature spiritually.

How Can We Know God?
The best way to understand knowing God and having relationship with Him is the romantic relationship analogy. This is not inappropriate as the church is referred to in Scripture as the “Bride of Christ” (Ephesians 5:22-32, Revelation 21:9). When you fall in love, you want to spend time with the person, talk to them constantly, know their opinions and their likes and dislikes. You want to do things for them. You conduct yourself in a way that will please them.

It should be no different in our relationship with God. You spend time with Him and talk with Him in Bible study, prayer, worship, and fellowship with other believers. You learn God’s opinions, likes, dislikes, and priorities in the pages of Scripture. You do things for Him through acts of service to others (Matthew 24:35-36, 40). And you conduct yourself in a way that will please Him through obedience to His commands (John 14:15).

Knowing God Versus Knowing About God
It is important to differentiate between knowing God and knowing about God. There are many people who know about God but do not know Him at all. They are familiar with the Bible and with the things of God, but they do not have a relationship with Him. The classic example is the president of the United States. Because of his position and the modern media, we know a lot about him, but how many of us actually know him, have a relationship with him?

Not that knowing about God isn’t important. One must know about Him in order to know Him. All of those books I read early on in my walk with God were very important in providing the foundation I needed for a relationship with Him. (One book that I highly recommend in learning about God is Knowing God, by J.I. Packer.)

The Word of God is the Key to Knowing God
In John 14:9, Jesus says, “He who has seen Me has seen the Father.” To know God, one must know Christ, and to know Christ, one must know the Word. In John 1;1, John refers to Jesus as “the Word.” Constant exposure to and study of the Word of God is the primary means of knowing Him. Prayer is not secondary, but it should be initiated and informed based on the Word. This way we can be confident that we are praying according to the will of God.

You cannot overexpose yourself to the Bible. Daily study and reflection on Scripture, small group discussions, preaching and teaching in church, scripture-based music, praying scripture…Every opportunity to exposure yourself to God’s Word should be taken advantage of if you genuinely desire to know God and to mature in your faith.

Following are the lyrics to one of my favorite praise songs.


Knowing You

All I once held dear, built my life upon,
All this world reveres and wars to own;
All I once thought gain I have counted loss,
Spent and worthless now compared to this.

CHORUS:
Knowing You, Jesus, knowing You
There is no greater thing.
You're my all, You're the best,
You're my joy, my righteousness,
And I love You Lord.

Now my heart's desire is to know You more,
To be found in You and known as Yours,
To possess by faith what I could not earn
All surpassing gift of righteousness.

Oh to know the power of Your risen life,
And to know You in Your sufferings;
To become like You in Your death, my Lord,
So with You to live and never die.

©1993 Make Way Music
Words and Music by Graham Kendrick

No comments: