Sunday, February 12, 2006

Why the Bible is Not My “Favorite Book”

If you have looked at my profile, you will have seen that I have listed my favorite books as being Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Personally, this is interesting because I actually read more nonfiction than I do fiction with biography being my favorite genre by far. (The best biography I have read is John Adams by David McCullough, in case you’re curious.) In light of the fact that the focus of this blog is the Word, you may have wondered why I didn’t include the Bible among my favorite books. The answer is simple to me. Just as I would never name the Person in whom the fullness of the Godhead bodily dwelled (Colossians 2:9 KJV) as being the greatest man who ever lived, I cannot bring myself to call God’s revelation to man my favorite book.

Referring to the Bible as a favorite book has for a long time not set well with me, even when I was at a loss to explain why. When I was in my early twenties and not walking with God, a Christian woman whom I knew at work was selected for the employee profile in the company newsletter. She listed the Bible as her favorite book. I admit at the time that I probably felt a certain amount of embarrassment for her as my division was rife with intellectual agnostics and atheists, but it was more than that. Favorite book? It’s the Word of God. I knew that long before I fully comprehended what it meant.

Now that I am studying John (see "Logos and Rhema", below) and have been a faithful student of the Word for some years, I can say with complete confidence that to name the Bible as my favorite book would be a gross understatement and misrepresentation. The Word is my reason to get up every day and keep walking. It is my life.

No comments: