Friday, July 21, 2006

Mini Review: Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man’s Chest

I receive a weekly movie newsletter from Christianity Today, and having glanced over last week’s issue, I vaguely remember a statement saying that Christian reviewers were giving Pirates favorable reviews. Now that I’ve seen the movie I understand why. The film makes it clear that there will be a judgment, and that judgment is something to dread. It also demonstrates that there are two choices in life: bondage to Satan and death, as in Colossians 3:3. I doubt whether the writers intended to show this, but it’s there. There are also discussions about truthfulness, courage, and having a “moral center.” And there are demonstrations of sacrificial love.

Hollywood loves to make statements on issues, and Pirates makes its indictment against corporate greed and the operations of multinational corporations via presenting the unscrupulous activities of East India Trading Company—arguably the world’s first MNC. EITC is presented as being more powerful than even the King of England in its quest to rule the seas.

My husband and I have been amazed at how Pirates has been marketed to young children. McDonald’s Happy Meals are promoting the film, and at Disney World, we saw massive amounts of Pirates merchandise designed for little ones. This is NOT a film for young children. It is frightening, violent, grotesque, and at times, sensual; and for all of its positive attributes, it does include black magic and the now ubiquitous English version of the “f” word, which Americans still don’t seem to get and subsequently see as offensive. (If you don’t know what word I’m talking about, email me, and I’ll tell you.)

Pirates is entertaining fun with a fundamentally Christian world view appropiate for adults and teenagers . I should warn you that the film leaves you hanging at the end. The third and final installment of the series is being filmed right now, and it is scheduled to be released next year. If you didn’t see the first Pirates movie or if you have forgotten most of it, as I had, you will want to rent it before seeing part two so you can keep up with what is going on. It can be hard to follow at times.

That’s my two cents worth.

4 comments:

Marty Duren said...

Good pick up of the English f-word; also in Australia via the obvious connection.

I think the word "bugger" is also offensive in those there parts.

We went to the midnight movie and got home at 3:00am. Going again tomorrow to see the parts I slept through.

Katy said...

Midnight movie?! LOL My husband goes to bed at ten o'clock. We wouldn't even attempt it.

Let me know what you think about the film. I'm curious to know if others see the bondage/death dichotomy as I did.

I'm an Anglophile, so I know I'm more informed than the average person is about vocabulary differences in American and British English, but it's still curious to me how the "b" word is viewed as innocuous in America.

Marty Duren said...

Yeah, I had slept through about 25 really important minutes.

Actually, I'm terrible at seeing themes in movies. If it isn't as obvious as The Village then it usually has to be pointed out to me. I guess I'm just old.

Regarding the "b" word, I guess it is because that from our earliest age we start faking British accents and for whatever reason that seems to the be only word that works. It is odd, but I'll bet that 99% of Americans have no idea about it.

Another Chance Ranch said...

Katy - I love your blog! I especially liked this mini review. My husband and I had a "date" last night and saw Pirates. We completely agree with your review. (Have you thought about doing Christian Reviews yourself?) :)

Oh I must be one of the Americans that have no idea about the "b" word. So, you've got mail!

Visiting via the Carnival!