Thursday, August 10, 2006

Learning to Walk (Another Lesson from the Woodshed)

But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
Galatians 5:16

More than two years ago, my small group studied Galatians and Ephesians. Since that time, I have been praying that God would show me how and enable me to walk by the Spirit so that I would not carry out the desire of the flesh. When I first began praying this prayer, I didn’t really know what it meant to walk by the Spirit. Up to this point I had incorrectly assumed that if I were filled with the Spirit I would have a supernatural ability not to sin, and I couldn’t figure out how to tap into that power. Through our discussions in my small group, our leader helped us to understand that fundamentally, walking by the Spirit was simply choosing to be obedient to the will of God in everything we do. Power would follow obedience.

While I was in the woodshed, I was reflecting on what God had been teaching me about submission during the previous two weeks, and I was prompted to turn to Ephesians 5:15-21…
15 Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, 16 making the most of your time, because the days are evil. 17 So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; 20 always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; 21 and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

As I was reading through these verses God showed me that during the time I had been praying for direction in walking in the Spirit, He had been teaching me a series of lessons consistent with this passage.

Lesson 1: Make the most of your time.
Do not waste your time on fruitless activities that are of no eternal significance, and make sure your priorities are consistent with God’s priorities.

Lesson 2: Understand what the will of the Lord is.
The only way to know the will of God is to know His word, the Bible.

Lesson 3: Be filled with the Spirit.
Daily ask God to fill you with His Spirit and to enable you to walk by the Spirit so that you do not carry out the desires of the flesh. Then obey God’s word and submit to the Spirit’s direction.

Lesson 4: Always give thanks.
Pray that God would give you a thankful heart, and look for things to be thankful for in every situation.

Lesson 5: Be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.
Philippians 2:3-4 says it best: Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

I was excited when I realized what God had been teaching me. My only question was, “Why did it have to take so long?!” For more than two years, God has been showing me how to walk by the Spirit. Now my prayer is that He would enable me to DO it consistently.

The next lesson from the woodshed will be on prayerlessness.

No comments: