Sunday, August 13, 2006

Sympathizing with My Sin

Never sympathize with the thing that is stabbing God all the time. God has to hurt the thing that must go.
My Utmost for His Highest, August 13

In my reading this passage today, God showed me that I have been sympathizing with a struggle that I have had for many months. I looked up the word "sympathize" at Dictionary.com and this definition stood out: "be understanding of."

I have prayed. I have confessed. I have repented. I have fasted. I have done everything but mortify the struggle completely because I have been understanding of it. In being understanding of it, I have analyzed how it came to be and why; I have tried to determine how God is using it in my life; and I have come to view it as a cross that I must die to daily. BUT I have not been entirely willing to kill or mortify it. This is something I can only see in retrospect.

I have been stabbing God with it, and it must go.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

All of us are learning good lessons right now it seems. God is on the move.

Tracie Nall said...

Oh, how true! it is so dangerous to start "understanding" our sin. Thanks for sharing this because I needed that reminder!