Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Lessons in Prayer from Abraham’s Servant in Genesis 24 UPDATED

Some weeks, my preparation for the Bible study I lead takes less thought and prayer than it does in other weeks. This week in our study of The Patriarchs, we spent two days on Genesis chapter 24, which tells the story of a bride for Isaac. After completing those two day's study, I knew exactly what I wanted to discuss in class: what we can learn from the prayer of Abraham’s servant. Following are the lessons I learned from his prayer and from the circumstances surrounding its answer.

1. The servant was in complete subjection to his master (v. 9,12) and focused on his master’s success (v. 33).
I should not expect my prayers to be answered if I am not in subjection to my master, Jesus Christ. If I am living my life for myself and for my wants I cannot expect Him to grant my requests. Furthermore, when I ask for good things, if my motive is to please myself and accomplish my purposes rather than to please God and to accomplish his purposes, I should not expect my prayers to be answered.

2. The first thing he did when he arrived in the city was to pray (v.12).
So often, I don’t think to pray until much later than I should have. Rather than praying to prevent a crisis, I tend to pray in the midst of it. One recent is example occurred when my husband and I attempted to get away for a fun, restful weekend alone. We did not pray in advance for God’s protection and blessing on our time together, and as a result, our children both got sick the day we left, and I was "under the weather" myself. In contrast, I have a friend who always asks us to pray for her and her husband when they go out of town, and God has honored her faith and dependence on Him.

3. He prayed “in his heart,” which means silently and deeply. (v. 45)
If you’ve been reading Logoscentric for some time you are familiar with a phrase I’ve used in the past to describe my feelings about my prayer life: treating God like a cosmic short-order cook. My prayers are often a thoughtless sending up of a request in the midst of a busy day. They cannot often enough be described as silent and deep. I pray that God would grant me the ability to pray silently and deeply.

4. He prayed for something seemingly impossible (v.14).
It would have been consistent with ancient Middle Eastern hospitality for Rebekah to provide a drink of water to a stranger. However, for the servant to ask God to send woman who would voluntarily water ten thirsty camels was extraordinary. Scholars estimate that Rebekah may have drawn as many as 250 gallons of water for the camels! The servant requested something that only God could provide in his desire for God’s choice for a bride for Isaac to be clear. How often my prayers underestimate God’s ability to provide! Matthew 19:26 says, “with God all things are possible.” I must learn to pray big.

5. He believed God would answer his prayer (v.12).
This is something that I infer from the text. The fact that he even prayed such a prayer demonstrates this (See 4, above.), but his response to the immediate answer demonstrates it as well. Before he had finished praying he looked up and saw Rebecca, and he ran to meet her (v. 17). He didn’t watch for a while from a distance and ponder to himself whether or not she could be the one. He didn’t pray some more. He ran to her in expectation that God had provided the answer to his prayer. Neither did he appear to be surprised that God answered so quickly. Matthew 21:22 says, “And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.”

6. He bowed low and worshipped God immediately upon receiving the answer to his prayer (v. 26).
The servant responded to God in humility and gratitude, and praised Him for His provision, AND he did it right away. I am all too often guilty of taking for granted God’s answers to my prayers rather than responding to Him as the servant did.

7. He gave glory to God and shared the story of God’s provision (v. 27, 35-48).
How often do I take credit for myself when God clearly is the only one deserving credit for my circumstances? The servant's actions have inspired me to be more deliberate in giving glory to God and to share with others how he has provided for me and worked in my life.

Addendum: In class this evening, another lesson from the servant's prayer was offerred: His prayer was specific. We need to be specific when we pray. Then there can be no doubt when God answers our prayer, and He alone will receive the glory.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I like your thoughts about not treating God like a cosmic short order cook with our prayers. Praying specifically is such a good thing to do.

Thanks for sharing the lessons you have learned!